January 10, 2011

Always There

In the first session of Mommy’s Piggy Tales, I didn’t know how to write a final post… and I still don’t. I participated in the Young Adult Years mini-session thinking that I would be able to include more significant life events, but it only made me realize that the end of high school was not so much a conclusion, but a transition.

I’d already met the man who’d be my future husband, and I didn’t know it then, but it did make going off to college a little less uncertain.


I’d made a career choice that would be revised but not dramatically changed over the next 5 years.


I’d discovered that some friends would endure, and some would just be faces in the yearbook.


I didn’t know yet how intricately tied to my family I was. I think I took for granted that they had been so supportive, so encouraging, and simply always there. When I moved to college, I realized how much I missed them! I also realized that my plans of putting down roots in a new locale simply weren’t to be. There was truly no place like home.


So, I guess I cheated a little by writing about what I learned right after high school instead of at the end of it, but the last month has been a reminder to me of just how important to me it is to have my family always there.


I volunteered to be a leader this session, and I apologize to my group for falling down on the job – some challenges came my way recently that only my family could help me handle, and I disconnected from others. I think we are on the upward swing now, thanks to the support of an amazing family. While I may not have been the best leader week by week, I hope I can set an example by catching up and finishing strong.


Telling your story is a challenge and a blessing and a journey. Mine surely isn’t finished.

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed all of your entries and your concise but interesting writing style. Your blogs give me ideas for further writing. THANKS>

    ReplyDelete