My Start as a Basketball Groupie
During my first years of high school, I began attending basketball games at the local community college with my mom (and often my best friend). My mom had recently begun dating the coach of the team, and she took us along to games for something fun (and supervised) to do. My friend and I felt like pretty hot stuff hanging around in the college gym even though we didn't even speak to actual college students.
Before long, we were tagging along for away games as well. My mom would drive us in her van, we'd watch the game, eat fast food with the team afterward, and Coach would often ride home with us.
After our first season as supporters, we became attached to the success of the team and even made gym decorations and goodie bags for the road-trips. Sometimes I think we made the real cheerleaders look bad!
Being a fan is such fun, no matter what the team, soccer, community college basketball, or NFL. Real fans care, as you did!
ReplyDelete