Why Stories Matter: A Review of Same Life, New Story by Jan Silvious
My attraction to Same Life, New Story
was 100% thanks to its title. After spending over half of the last year participating in a the Mommy’s Piggy Tales project to record my life story and encourage others to do the same, how could I not be intrigued by the prospect of a “new” story?
Jan Silvious text has two subtitles: Change Your Perspective to Change Your Life, and A 10-Week Bible Study for Women. I would say the former is more true than the latter. This book is an accessible and affirming read, and I am strongly in agreement with Silvious that the events that unfold in our lives are largely influenced by our perspectives. While biblical stories and scripture are the basis for Silvious' reasoning, I don’t consider this book a Bible study. By reading it, you will examine parts of the Bible, but it should not be construed that reading this text is a path to an understanding of the Bible in its entirety.

Silvious focuses each chapter on the events and circumstances of a female biblical character, including Naomi, Leah, Rahab, Deborah, Hannah, Anna, Jehosheba, Abigail, Naaman's servant girl, and Elizabeth. Each of their stories serves as an illustration for the directives Silvious sets forth as steps to change one’s perspective, including Realize it's time, Don't be held hostage by the past, Ask yourself good questions, Change your "I can't" to "I can", Delete the drama of the day, Forget the "What might have beens", Discover the power of wisdom and courage, Get past the resistance of fear, and Choose to bounce back (chapter titles). Each chapter also includes personal experience and anecdotal evidence from Silvious’ experience as a life coach, translating the biblical foundation to a modern application.
The over-arching theme of Same Life, New Story
is that our story is unfolding as we speak, and what is to come depends on how we tell it. This is a critical consideration as we record and share our stories and those of our family. The events we consider monumental, and our perspective on those events, have a direct influence on the events that are yet to come. The writing may not be absolutely riveting and the anecdotes occasionally lack emotional depth, but the message is on point and valuable to any woman (or man). I wish that Silvious had not excluded men from her biblical study or her audience. I am glad I read it, I am better for it, and I will pass it on to a friend in hopes that she’ll enjoy it as well.
When you tell your story, you’ll also be authoring your future. How will yours read?
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
No comments:
Post a Comment