November 16, 2010

Milestones

Any event that can be considered a milestone could probably encompass several weeks’ worth of posts, as evidenced by my 3 separate scrapbooks for my bridal shower, my wedding, and my honeymoon. But, for the sake of being able to say I made it to the last week of My Young Adult Years and Mommy’s Piggy Tales, I’ve decided to make a milestones highlights reel.


Graduation: I didn’t participate in the graduation ceremony for my BA because I was going straight into grad school and the credential program. When I finished grad school, I walked with my credential/M.Ed. class, wore honor cords and a gardenia corsage, and promptly packed up my condo and moved back home to start my new job.


Marriage: I married my high school sweetheart 7 years after we met. We were married on the grounds of a golf course. My brother was the best man, and my maid of honor was my new best friend. I carried a gardenia bouquet, wore flip-flops, and went out for dinner after the mid-day reception with family at a local restaurant. Our getaway car was my husband’s raised pickup, and we honey-mooned at Disneyland.


Children: B was born a little over 2 years after our wedding. I had terrible morning sickness and cravings for pizza. He arrived almost a week late when I was induced. I had asked for the epidural consent form, unsure whether I’d want it or not. Just when I was beginning to think I didn’t want to tough it out anymore, the nurse came in and ripped up the form. When I gaped at her, she explained, “Oh, you’re past that now!” When I went into labor with T 3 years and 3 months later, there wasn’t even a consent form to be had. I wasn’t even admitted before T arrived. We were still in the triage wing of the maternity pavilion. I’m thinking if we decide on a 3rd I may want to consider a home birth… I may not have a choice!


A life-changing decision: After T was born, I did not return to work. We have had the amazing fortune to be able to support our lifestyle on my husband’s income, and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to be a stay-at-home mom to my boys, to see them growing up everyday, and to experience their perspective on the world with them.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful summary of your milestones! My cousin had a home birth for her second baby...she had a huge birthing tub in her living, waiting for the day she would go into labor! I guess I'm strictly a hospital-child-bearing sort of person. It is wonderful to be a SAHM, isn't it? You are very lucky to be able to stay at home with your precious little ones!

    Thank you so much for participating in My Young Adult Years. I have really enjoyed reading your posts, and I'm so glad you rejoined us, even though you weren't able to post every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the summary of "scrapbook" worthy events. Love your wedding summary! Our get-away car was my cousin's 1945 or 54 car. We didn't want our friends to trash our car. I taught in public schools as well, and stay home, homeschooling two of our kids and tutoring as well. Thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah! If you want to have your baby in a hospital (if you go for a 3rd), you may want to move in a week before your due date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great highlight reel! My son came fast, but not that fast (and I did get the epidural, hallelujah). THanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete