In 5th grade, I discovered competing in contests based in the arts. I could prepare in advance, submit an entry, and be far, far away from the judging and decision making. Turned out, my love of language and reading was quite helpful in creating successful entries.
In contests sponsored by the school and school district, I entered 3 student authored books, a poem, and a photograph. I earned recognition for one of the books and the poem I wrote went on to compete at a regional level and I was able to attend a local recognition luncheon.
I also entered a contest sponsored by M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) to create a poster discouraging other students from using drugs and alcohol. My poster was selected as one of a dozen that were displayed as billboards around our city! We even went over to the billboard location to take some photos with my creation.
I continued to enter writing contests throughout middle and high school, and won a few. Mostly I received a certificate or announcement at an assembly, but some entries even earned savings bonds and scholarships. In college, I had a couple pieces published by campus literary journals.
In some ways, blogging is my current “submission.” While I’m not in competition, I am preparing a piece of writing to share with the world at large, and it is both challenging and exhilarating.
Looks like you've found your niche, Anne! Your essays are interesting and thought provoking as well. I'm enjoying them. These types of contests weren't available when I was in elementary school, but I think it is wonderful to have them now. For some kids, like you, they provide the right amount of competitiveness. Glad you were so successful! (Have you seen the movie about a 50s mom who wrote jingles and won money and prizes to support her family?)
ReplyDeleteKaren (visiting from Group 3)
Very cool! You are an excellent writer! I love the look of your blog, too!
ReplyDelete