I was the lucky owner of a Barbie Townhouse, complete with 3 stories and an elevator. It later underwent renovations to add a room to each story and a fourth floor! I had many versions of Barbie and her friends, along with Skipper, Courtney, Derek, and a couple Kens. I had a mini suitcase full of clothing, including a few items hand knitted by my grandma. These were for special occasions; the knee length pastel variegated coat was my version of a luxurious fur.
Grandma also made a few outfits for my Cabbage Patch Dolls. I had four: 3 girls and a preemie boy. Weren’t the names they arrived with bizarre? I had a Josephine and a Belvina, along with Angela and Eddie. My brother also received a Cabbage Patch doll as a gift this year – it was really a gift to both of us. It gave him the toy he needed to be included in my games, and it alleviated some of the complaining I did when he played with my dolls in a way I didn’t approve of. “You can’t throw a baby!” “Ken can’t jump off the roof, that’s not realistic!”
In truth, I think I was pretty lucky to have a younger brother who wanted to play Barbies and Cabbage Patch Kids with me. His play may have been a little rougher than mine, and he may have imagined more outlandish adventures than just playing house, but finding some common ground was good for both of us I’m sure. My view of the world was widened as Barbie drove the Tonka Jeep around, and his nurturing instincts were kindled as he assisted me and our five “babies” boarding the plane created from rows of dining chairs in the living room.


Hi Anne: I'm visiting from Group 3. I LOVE dolls, always have, always will! Now that I am a grandmother and have two granddaughters who live nearby, I have six dolls who "live" at my house. They have the same names and look the same as some who "live" at the little girls' house. We play daycare with them, take them for strolls, and dress them appropriately! What I love the most are the imaginative conversations with a 4 and a 2 year old about these babies. I know you understand.... and I hope that the day will come when you, too, can play realistic games with your granddaughters and dolls! Grandma Karen
ReplyDelete