October 08, 2010

Anne Appears on the Scene

I completed the first session of Mommy’s Piggy Tales, but felt like I had more to tell, so I’m back for round two! This time, I’ll be adding some stories, filling in the holes in others, and especially adding extra pictures! My goal for this session is to get a bunch of photos organized and scanned, and hopefully you’ll get some smiles out of them!


If you want to read the story of my birth, you can check out my post from the first session. What I didn’t share then is the story of my name. My mom always had a fondness for the name Elizabeth for a girl, but when the reality of a baby girl arrived (me) she realized that was just too many syllables for a last name like ours. I’m not sharing that out of a desire for privacy, but let’s just say it’s 3 syllables and has 2 z’s in it – no need for more. So I ended up with “Anne,” which suits me just fine. My middle name is the same as my aunt’s, and it became her daughter’s middle name also 11 years later.

Does a name fit a baby, or does a baby grow into a name? How many people really feel like their name doesn’t fit them at all? Both sides of my family have a habit of nick-naming, so I’m a little surprised I made it to adulthood still being called by my given name, but then again, I was pretty intent that I would not be called Annie, or Anna, and I was always emphatic that my written name include the “e” to be correct. Thanks to my name, I received several Raggedy Ann dolls as gifts. Much as I enjoyed them, I was a little annoyed that they didn’t share my “e.”

Some evidence of my first year:
One of my first visitors: my maternal grandma.

Posed in front of the house with my proud parents - strollers have come a looonngg way!

I wasn't the first "baby" in the family - I joined 2 dogs and 2 cats!
Enjoying one of my Ragedy Ann gifts - did you see those thighs? Wow!

3 comments:

  1. Anne with an "E". I bet you could relate to a certain Green Gables character.

    I wonder about names, too. I think mine fits me and my children fit theirs and have rarely met a name misfit (although they are out there).

    With our unusual last name we had to be careful not to accidentally make our kids names didn't sound funny when spoken. I think we did alright, I hope they think so, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to this project will motivate me to do some picture scanning as well. You're off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Loved seeing the stroller and "playard." We chose a short name for my daughter b/c of our crazy last name too.

    Feel free to edit and add to your old posts too if you don't always want to write a completely new post every week.

    ReplyDelete