Read most any pregnancy book or magazine and you’ll be assured that labor isn’t like the movies. The average first labor is 12 hours. Most women don’t experience their water breaking as their first symptom – often it doesn’t happen until they are in the hospital. Those scenes where women who have been otherwise going about their normal activities suddenly stop short and exclaim, “I think my water just broke!” are pretty unrealistic. I’m not claiming that my birth story is something out of the movies – but it wasn’t exactly average either.
The day I was born didn’t start out much differently than the day before. My mom rose to make my dad breakfast before he headed to work. She’d been noticing some contractions, but her due date was a week away and she didn’t want to be one of THOSE first-time moms who ran off to the hospital at the slightest hint of labor and ended up being sent home. According to Mom’s recollection, she made the breakfast and sent Dad on his way, sure the “false labor” would dissipate as the morning went on.
Instead, it continued to make her uncomfortable, and she wondered whether she’d have to deal with this discomfort for the next week until my due date – or beyond. It wasn’t until she answered the doorbell for the delivery driver that she was convinced she wouldn’t be spending another week in this condition. As she stood at the screen door in her robe, she experienced a gush of fluid. She excused herself and called Dad to return home to get her. He had hardly had time to get to the office!
Upon their arrival at the hospital, the labor and delivery staff was not in any great rush to see her; she wasn’t bellowing or complaining much. By the time she was assessed by a nurse, she was dilated to 9cm and nearly ready to deliver. The doctor was summoned and I arrived only about 6 hours after breakfast! Her speedy delivery sans epidural was impressive in and of itself, but even more so considering I tipped the scales at 8lbs 14oz!
Both of my deliveries went pretty smoothly too: B arrived about 6 hours after I was induced, T arrived about 3 hours after my water broke at home, neither required an epidural. I don’t know how much of our body’s labor behavior is inherited, but I’m counting myself blessed to have my mom’s genes!

Enjoyed reading your birth story. Looking forward to reading more about your life.
ReplyDeleteWow, almost a NINE POUNDER! Your mama's a trooper, that's for sure! It's so great that you know so much about your birth!
ReplyDeleteWhat a story! I've often thought it would be so much easier to know if you were in labor if your water broke. The doctor broke my water in the hospital with our first and nothing came out. It was all blocked behind my daughter's head. She was a big one, too!
ReplyDeleteI posted late today, but it's finally up.
I had an easy delivery also ... such a blessing, huh?
ReplyDeleteI wish my deliveries were that easy... not quite though. I guess I got my mom's genes, that's how it works huh?
ReplyDeleteWay to not make your mom suffer! What a trooper!
ReplyDeleteDaisie
Too funny! My mom's side of the family all have quick labors too - I didn't get to experience that though...my baby girl was headed the wrong way!
ReplyDeleteYeah for quick births!!
ReplyDeleteOh man, I need your genes! Labor was oh so terrible for me. Great pic of you and your mom!
ReplyDeleteMy mom always told me labor wasn't like they portrayed it in the movies! She hated how the women were always screaming -- because labor was easy for her! (She ended up having four kids!)
ReplyDeleteI think it has something to do with Genes,... HOw cute the pic of you and your mom, I have none of me first born... but 1 day or a few days... Can't wait to read more...
ReplyDelete