Maybe my memory held on to the back yard because it is featured in so many of our pictures from that time period: my brother and I in the tractor-tire sandbox, playing in the sprinklers in the grass, the dogs and cats sunning themselves on the bricks. The most prominent feature was the raised bed in the far back that featured two mature orange trees, a lemon tree, and an avocado tree.
Me at 5 in front of the orange trees - maybe first day of kindergarten?
The lemon and avocado trees had a different story. Neither is in many photos, as they were still scrawny saplings when we moved from that house. I remember them for a different reason. Each marked the resting place of a family pet lost in that 5 year span that we spent there. I remember little about the dog and cat, Sophie and Dozey, but I remember the solemn feeling of their passing, and it is always with fondness that I think of the trees that grew in memory of them.

That's about the only thing I remember from a house while I was that age too: the backyard sandbox, and I think it's because of pictures. I wish I had orange trees though, that would be awesome!
ReplyDeleteI often wonder if what I remember is due to the fact that I have pictures of it or if the event actually made an impact on my mind.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome that you had such a great back drop for so many photos! That is a great photo!
ReplyDeleteWe had a tractor-tire sandbox, too, and spent a lot of time out in our backyard! I'll have to include some backyard memories in one of my piggy-tale posts. Instead of orange and lemon trees, we had plum and apple trees. Thanks for jogging my memory!
ReplyDelete