June 24, 2010

It Feels Good to Be Missed

When I was in first grade, I experienced one of the rites of passage for my generation, a case of the chicken pox. It’s hard to believe that my children and most of their peers won’t have to endure those itchy, feverish couple weeks – lucky them!
I don’t remember if I got it first or if my brother brought it home from preschool, and I couldn’t even tell you what season it was – did I miss playing out in the sun? Or did I wish I was allowed out to build a snowman? No telling.


What I remember clearly is that I hated missing school (go ahead and groan). I missed my friends and my teacher, and I missed the fun things we did there. My mom stopped in occasionally throughout my illness to pick up work I’d missed. I’m not sure whether she was more determined to keep me from falling behind or just to keep me busy cooped up at home.


In several of the packets she brought home, I found notes and pictures from one of my classmates (the one I’d declared was my “boyfriend”). There was no lyric poetry or emotive prose, just a few sentences in occasionally misspelled block lettering that said things like, “I miss you,” and “I hope you get better.” But those little tokens made me feel special. They made me even more eager to get back to school. Doesn’t it feel good to know that you’re missed?

6 comments:

  1. How sweet that your classmates wrote you notes! It is nice to be missed.

    I remember having chicken pox, and when I had it, because I missed the Valentine's Day party at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have evidence of my bout with chicken pox, 24 years later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet teacher to make sure your classmates sent you notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a somewhat sickly child and have many memories of being cooped up in the bed while everyone else was outside playing. However, I had the chicken pox before I was 2 years old (my brother brought them home from school) and don't remember that particular illness! Very sweet that you got notes from your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think it's sweet that you got notes and from such a special friend! I had chicken pox in 6th grade, but it was a very mild case and I only missed a couple days of school. I was like you, though, and hated missing school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the chicken pox 5 times so I feel for you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete