July 23, 2010

A Stint in the Spotlight

As I’ve written about before, I’ve never been much of a competitor, but I have always enjoyed song and dance. (Who didn’t put on “shows” in their yard for parents/friends/neighbors?) My mom had a colleague whose daughter was enjoying involvement with local theater productions, so she helped me prepare for an audition and I gave it a shot.
The audition was absolutely the worst part of it: competition. I had to have a song prepared and go solo in front of the casting directors. My song choice was “It’s ruff being a dog.” Pretty cheesy, but appropriate for a 10-year-old. The show I was auditioning for was a community college production of “Gypsy.” Because the play follows the character of Louise from her childhood performing in her sister’s shadow on Vaudeville to her adult career as a strip tease artist, there were all ages and manners of performers also auditioning. Waiting in the room with other kids who seemed much more like performers than I wound me up to the point that I actually got a nosebleed! Before I ever performed, my mom and I were in the restroom trying to dab drops of blood off my shirt! Amazingly, I made it through the first round and went on to quickly learn a few lines of a song with another group of young people, along with a few steps of choreography. That was more fun, as I felt less pressure in the group. At the end of the day when the casting decisions were posted, I was on the list as a “newsboy.”


If you’re not familiar with the storyline, a stage mom and her mediocre manager husband attempt to make their claim to stardom vicariously through their daughters, June and Louise. June has the more extroverted personality and is the star of the act, while Louise is the supporting act. Mom Rose decides they need some more back-up singers/dancers, so she scoops up some orphans and misfits to be the “newsboys” who announce the arrival of the star: Baby June. The act transitions to a patriotic number where all the newsboys become members of the armed forces dancing to a military medley while Baby June twirls baton. That meant I got 3 costume changes, from orphan, to newsboy, to sailor. I had one song to learn and lots of choreography, including a dance that was performed on a section of the stage that rotated 180 degrees to show the passage of time: when the set revolved around, a set of teenagers was doing the same act in front of the same backdrop behind a teenage June. The moving set was very central to the production to make quick set changes and make the years “fly by.”
My "rescued orphan" costume.

"Extra, Extra, hey look at the head-line!"

"Anchors away..."


My favorite part of the experience was not the costumes, the songs, or the dances, but the feeling of being a part of something bigger. I loved rehearsals, but I also loved the downtime when I got to hang out with the other newsboys (mostly other girls) and entertain some of the younger children cast as Vaudeville acts. I also loved watching the adult rehearsals and learning all the songs. I remember feeling a divide between my newsboy crew and the girls who played June and Louise – I don’t know if that was more due to a year’s age difference or if I just got wrapped up in the storyline. I proudly displayed the show billboard and newspaper clippings in my room for several years, and I still have my cast t-shirt, even though it would never fit me now. I didn’t find my way into theater again until college, but it was a taste I savored.

1 comment:

  1. I love all those pictures of you in your costumes! What a fun show to be in! I was in the chorus of some musicals in high school...but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks to find out which ones! :)

    I hope you tell us more about your drama experiences when it's time to write about college! I think when we get to our "post high school" post, we all will have way too much to write about for just one post.

    ReplyDelete