I miss sleepovers… maybe if I have a little girl begging to have one someday I won’t feel the same way, but I have fond memories of my sleepover days so I hope I’d comply and let her make some fun memories too.
During 4th grade, I turned 10 and had my first sleepover birthday party. It wasn’t the first time I’d had a friend over for the night, but it was the first time it was a big group, and the first time it was a party, not just pizza and a movie and night giggling…
I think we had 10 or so girls from my class, and we were VERY silly. We started with pizza and cake and the typical birthday stuff, but quickly moved on to a fashion show. I’m sad to tell you I haven’t located the pictures of the fashion show – as I’m sure they’d be very amusing. I had a box of my mom’s old formals (prom, homecoming, even a bridesmaid dress or two) that I got to play dress up with. Each of us put on a gown and did a runway style show where we appeared from the hallway and did a twirl or two to background music and the narration of either my mom or my aunt – one played “host” while the other filmed with the video camera. Yes – there is video of this event as well, but haven’t been able to locate that either! We tried to act very sophisticated and solemn as we walked the runway, but often collapsed into giggles at the sight of our friends.
Later, when we’d changed into PJs, we had an impromptu dance party and sing along. Don’t recall what music was playing but I’m going to guess it might have been Debbie Gibson or New Kids on the Block… yikes!
After the dance floor was covered in sleeping bags, we played a game where we drew pictures or wrote messages on each other’s backs and tried to guess what they were (which is nearly impossible). I think we also had a game of telephone after we curled up on the floor.
This is one of the sweetest sleepover memories I have – before the age where all talk turned to boys, before there were worries of someone freezing your bra or drawing make-up on your face while you slept, before considering toilet-papering the neighbors or other such mischief.
The year before my first son was born I had a girls-night with optional sleep-over while my husband was away on business. There was work talk, but we tried to keep it to a minimum as we played board games, painted toenails, sipped margaritas, and danced in the living room. In my book, sleepovers never go out of style.
What’s the boy equivalent of this kind of bonding? I guess I’ll have to figure that out as my guys get older.
P.s. If you're not entering yourself, please vote for me to win the blog makeover at Mommy's Piggy Tales by leaving a comment on this link.


I only remember going to one sleepover when I was young, and we had so much fun. We had birthday parties at the roller rink more often than sleepovers!
ReplyDeleteYes! I went to many sleepovers and loved every one. I would stay up sooo late. I remember watching The Little Mermaid when it first came out at a sleepover:)
ReplyDeleteI have many pics of fashion shows as well. I love all the innocent play we were able to enjoy as children.
good luck on the blog design!
I loved going to sleepovers and hosting sleepovers when I was a kid, but I don't think we started until 6th grade.
ReplyDeleteMy older boys used to always have sleepovers for their birthdays from about age 8 until 14 or 15. Boys EAT as much food as possible, drink lots of soda & then play video games or watch scary movies all night.