At the end of 8th grade, the high school color-guard coaches distributed information about try-outs as they recruited incoming freshmen. I wasn’t sure about this gamble. Try-outs took place over 3 days, during which potential team members would learn flag twirling techniques, dance choreography, and marching commands. There WOULD be cuts. Was I up for the potential disappointment?
In the end, I decided to risk it. I spent 3 sweltering afternoons in the high school gym with my best friend from middle school color guard trying to memorize moves, learn marching drills, and not look totally uncoordinated doing it. My efforts were rewarded with a spot on the team and the promise of many summer practices to come.
What made this a defining decision was that I spent all 4 years of high school involved in with the color-guard and marching band. I went to two summer camps for technique and team-building. I went on three spring band trips for competitions around the country. I attended every home football game, performed at half-time, and belted out the alma-mater with my teammates at the end. I travelled by bus to field and floor competitions around the state. I wore my uniform on spirit Fridays and performed at pep-rallies. I became a co-captain and learned leadership skills. I tested my bravery by choreographing and performing solo routines. I developed close friendships and survived cliques.
![]() |
| A field show performance |
![]() |
| At summer spirit camp |
![]() |
| My snazzy uniform - yes, those are feathers on my head... |



Snazzy is a great word. I'm glad you were able to find a place and team to help you navigate high school with a greater sense of belonging.
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful post. In years to come your children will gain important insights about your character. I don't know you and I've learned about your too! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThis is great!!! Yea for you!!! Visiting from group 2 of MOmmy Piggy Tales.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing how each story is so different and yet still the same.
That looks like so much fun! I hardly ever went to football games, mostly because I went to such a big high school and none of my friends went. I think I missed out, though!
ReplyDelete